I'm sitting here this evening watching TLC's show called "your kid ate what?". They asked my son Levi to do the show and he turned them down. They wanted to come and do interviews with him, the doctors etc. Levi had 2 reasons for turning them down, #1 he didn't remember what happened and #2 he didn't want to look like an idiot, teenagers... *pfft*.
So anyway, he is 17 now, but when he was 2 we had an incident. We had settled down one afternoon to watch tv, Levi was laying on his back propped on a pillow on the floor in front of me, I was sitting on the sofa. I glanced down at him and could see he obviously had something in his mouth, so I ordered him to sit up and spit whatever it was out. When he sat up, whatever was in his mouth went down his throat. I picked him up and instantly I knew he was choking. I grabbed the phone dialed 911 and started doing the Heimlich on him. I explained to 911 what happened and that I was preforming the Heimlich, the 911 operator paged the ambulance. While on the phone the object in his mouth came out, it was the plastic nut from my dog crate.
After the plastic nut came out, he still couldn't breathe, something else was in his throat. So I continued to work on him until finally he cried, more importantly he could breathe again! I hung up with 911, canceled the ambulance and I took him to the hospital. They did and x-ray and when the doctor came in with the x-ray film, I'll never forget what he said, he said "Well.... Mrs. Hopkins, if I hadn't seen this with my own eyes I wouldn't have believed it. Let me show you what we have."
I was pretty dumbfounded after I saw this, oh yes, he swallowed a steel bolt! After a few days he "passed it" and went on to continue to put stuff in his mouth that he shouldn't. We measured one of the other bolts from the crate, the head was 3/4 of an inch across and I believe the length was 1.5 inches long. The doctor gave me a copy of the x-ray just because I think it blew his mind, I know it blew mine.